Monday, January 12, 2009

Crime and punishment

Time to polish the ol' resume: I just received another diploma... from online traffic school!

While visiting my family over Thanksgiving, I received a speeding ticket from the Winter Park Police Department. For not driving with extraordinary care, I paid a hefty fee and signed up for a 4-hour online course to better myself.

In a literary turn of events, the punishment fit the crime a bit too snugly. The course was not only mindnumbingly silly (sample subheading: "What is a stop sign?"), but slow-paced. The student is required to spend a minumum amount of time on each module. So even if it took me 15 minutes to read a section and do a short quiz, I had to wait for the timer to tick off 50 minutes before moving on. I COULDN'T SPEED THROUGH IT! The agony!

Thusly, I was able to while away my time on the computer during these traffic jams. It's not a good idea to multitask while driving, but it's slightly less dangerous to do so while completing an online crash course.

No comments: