Friday, February 27, 2009

It's official: We live in Texas!


Today I journeyed to a faraway place called South Houston for a special education meeting. It is an area best described as desolate and inhospitable. I was happily driving to the highway to return to Rice Village, when what to my wondering eyes should appear but a man riding a horse down the median! I couldn't believe it. He appeared to be a Mexican cowboy of sorts, with a cowboy hat and an unbuttoned shirt fluttering in the breeze created by passing automobiles. I'm sorry I didn't take a photo.

A few minutes later, as I exited the highway, I drove by Reliant Stadium, which is hosting, for the next month, the Houston Rodeo. (We already have tickets to attend this extravaganza, so expect a post about it soon!) Today, the rodeo kicks off with the World's Championship Bar-B-Que contest. There were pick-up trucks, cowboy boots, and watering mouths aplenty, as seen from my car window! Even a ferris wheel! The website says that in addition to BBQ awards, there are also "recycling awards" given. I shudder to think what this might mean!

Is it good things, bad things, or weird things that come in threes? When I arrived home and checked my e-mail, there was a message from the City of Houston imploring me to participate in the "Great Texas Warrant Round Up" on March 7th. Starting that day, "HPD officers will aggressively target those people on the warrant list and arrests can take place at any location, including the person's home, school or workplace." Where can I get a lasso and form my own posse?!

Oh, and I can't forget to mention that tomorrow is "Go Texan Day" throughout the Houston Independent School District. In preschool, we are have a school-wide parade, wherein the students (and teachers) can dress up in their finest Western wear. This week as a fundraiser we have been selling cowboy hats and bandanas in anticipation of this event. Yeehaw!

1 comment:

Garrett said...

I love that picture! Apparently, I've been misusing the phrase, "Where the sun don't shine!"