Monday, June 15, 2009

The Art Guys Marry a Plant


On Friday night, my friend Lori called and invited me to a wedding the following morning. "The Art Guys are marrying a plant," she said. Count me in!

In an eccentric event I'm surprised I didn't witness while living in New York, the Art Guys (local Houston artists Jack Massing and Michael Galbreth) were married to an oak sapling in the sculpture garden at the Museum of Fine Arts. The festivities included an ordained minister, a string quartet, and a number of guests wearing fancy hats.

During the processional, the Art Guys wheeled in the tree in a small wagon. There were readings from the Book of Genesis and from William Clifford, English philosopher and mathematician. Vows were said, and a ring was placed on an upper branch. A lovely reception was held inside the Contemporary Arts Museum, with refreshments and cake.

I was there, and I'm still not clear on the meaning of the event. It's part of an exhibit called "No Zoning: Artists Engage Houston." I liked Lori's theory best, that it was a statement about the artists' commitment to the environment. Garrett (who chose not to attend) didn't see it as art, and even thought the ceremony was mocking gay marriage (i.e., "If we let homosexuals marry, what will happen next? a man getting married to a tree?!").

All in all, I was pleased. It was a beautiful, simple ceremony -- and I didn't have to bring a gift.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the defense of marriage act prevents their love from being recognized in neighboring states.

Amanda, Ben and Harper said...

Where'd they go on their honeymoon?