Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Texas Renaissance Festival

Garrett and I returned to the Texas Renaissance Festival, this time on Halloween.

Garrett disguised himself with a dashing cloak.



My Waldo costume was a hit! As an adult, I have never received so much positive feedback on a Halloween costume. People shouted at me, "Hey! I found you!" or "Have you seen Waldo?" Some comments were disappointing (i.e., "You're the third Waldo I've seen today!") or sexist ("Are you Waldo's girlfriend?"). The comments did wear thin as the day went on, but all in all I was just pleased that people recognized me. Garrett observed, "I guess we have disproven the notion that it is hard to find someone in a crowd wearing a red-and-white striped shirt." Indeed!



The best part of the day was the people-watching. Or monster-watching.





It was comforting to know that even Gandalf has to stop and ask for directions sometimes.


These girls had pretend squirrels (or other small rodents) on their shoulders!


We took in a very entertaining fighting competition. The actors battled it out using a variety of medieval weaponry and dirty jokes. Oh, those codpieces!





It's not a day at the festival without some mead!





I think these guys have a big head about their costumes.


This shop sold satyr horns. I thought this drawing would make Matisse proud!


Where's Waldo? Hint: She's carrying a bottle of mead!




The pirate hanging out in the second-floor shop window found Waldo.

Can you see the man in the Ghillie suit? The suit is usually worn by hunters. (And, I'm not talking about a baseball cap and jeans.)


This Native American was a hit with the ladies.

David the Gnome counseled a lady in need. He was a real midget!



We concluded the day with the jousting tournament. We sat in the winning section -- Spain!


After a long day of fun in the sun, we returned to Rice Village. Now that Halloween is over, we can start looking forward to Christmas! Santa picked the best bench in the shopping plaza. He's gonna find out who's naughty and nice!

No comments: