Friday, April 30, 2010

Nothing is certain but death and TAKS

TAKS week is nearing its end! Students across the state took the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills this week in a variety of subject areas. At one of my schools, the third grade hallway was decorated in celebration -- stars and paper chains hanging from the ceiling, glittery good luck wishes from parents prominently displayed, and handmade posters by the students along the lower part of the wall. Though there was a "block party" in the hallway last week, I didn't take a close look at the posters until this week. It's one thing when I rant and rave on the blog about standardized tests; it's another thing to see how the kids really feel about them! Should I notify a psychologist?





The last one reads (or can be translated as), "The TAKS has been terminated! And I got commended." Some students receive "Commended Performance" for very high scores. But it looks like that TAKS got commando-ed!

No comments: